Brookhaven Instruments offers a wide range of services for characterizing colloids, nanoparticles, proteins, and polymers.
Brookhaven Instruments is pleased to offer sample characterization services of your nanoparticles, proteins and polymers. A pioneer in the field with decades of expertise, Brookhaven has assembled a team of application scientists who will measure physical properties of your materials including:
- Particle/Protein Size
- Zeta Potential (Surface Charge)
- Molecular Weight (Mn, Mw, Mz)
- Differential Refractive Index
- Dielectric Constant
- Dynamic Viscosity of Fluids
Read more about the available analytical services below.
Brookhaven offers both Dynamic Light Scattering (DLS) and Disc Sedimentation for sizing analyses.
Dynamic Light Scattering (DLS)
Brookhaven’s DLS measurements conform to international standards ISO 13321 and ISO 22412 and can be used to study particles ranging from >1 nm to 6 µm. Multiple measurement angles are available: 15°, 90°, or 173° (backscatter). Samples can be tested within a temperature range from -5 °C to +110 °C. A small sample volume of only a few µL is required. A multi-angle goniometer is available for advanced sample analysis.
The following information is included in our reporting:
- Accurate & repeatable size average (RH Effective Diameter, Z-Average) and polydispersity information
- Assessment of particle size populations and their respective sizes
- Size distribution information available by Intensity, Volume, Surface Area, and Number
- Particle size as a function of additive concentration
Disc Sedimentation studies offer superior resolution of complex particle size distributions when DLS alone doesn’t suffice. With this approach, you can obtain the full size distribution by measuring slice in time of particle sedimentation under high gravity. It is suitable for a wide range of sizes and densities and yields the highest resolution of tailing, asymmetric distributions and closely spaced populations
Reports offer detailed distribution and width information by Volume (mass), Number, and Surface Area
Zeta Potential (Surface Charge)
Let Brookhaven Instruments perform your Zeta Potential measurements.
- Determine stability of colloidal suspensions
- Organic solvents
- Oily or viscous media
- High salt suspension
- Near the IEP
- Isoelectric point determination (point of zero charge)
- Zeta Potential as a function of additive concentration
Molecular Weight & Static Light Chromatogram Scattering
Contact us about your Molecular Weight measurement needs.
- GPC/SEC Chromatography
- Determine: Mn, Mw, Mz, Rg, A2
- Zimm, Berry, Debye, Guinier, Kratky Plots
Differential Index of Refraction
- Polymers in aqueous & organic solvents
- Measurement of sample up to 80 °C
- Diesel Fuel Impurities
- Mixed Liquids
- 0.3 to 10,000 cP
- 1% accuracy and repeatability
- Reduce errors in DLS and zeta potential results due to incorrect dispersant viscosity
Speak to an expert today about our Analytical Services
We’re standing by to help you select the right services for your characterization needs